The Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) Web Map Service (WMS) is a service that provides map depictions over the network via a standard protocol, enabling clients to build customized maps based on data coming from a variety of distributed sources.
The GES DISC provides the following data through the WMS interface:
Atmospheric Infrared Sounder (AIRS) Near-Real-Time
BT_diff_SO2 (an indicator of volcanic SO2), False-color RGB, Precipitation Estimate, CO, and SO2 amounts images are available for the near-real-time AIRS Calibrated Radiance data. WMS GetCapabilities...
Atmospheric Infrared Sounder (AIRS) Data Products
Visible, infrared and microwave sensors provide daily global atmospheric temperature moisture and trace gases throughout the atmosphere. AIRS WMS layers include surface temperature, total column ozone, CO and water vapor, cloud fraction, and other atmospheric dynamic parameters. WMS GetCapabilities...
Tropical Rainfall Measurement Mission (TRMM) Gridded Rainfall Data
The TRMM is the first mission dedicated to measuring tropical and subtropical rainfall through microwave and visible infrared sensors, and includes the first spaceborne rain radar. WMS GetCapabilities...
Ozone Monitoring Instrument (OMI) Data Products
The OMI employs hyperspectral imaging to observe solar backscatter radiation in the visible and ultraviolet. OMI WMS layers include total ozone and other atmospheric parameters related to ozone chemistry and climate. WMS GetCapabilities...
How does it work?
OGC WMS works on top of the HTTP protocol, based on the specifications defined by the Open Geospatial Consortium. The WMS specification defines a number of request types, and for each of request type it defines a set of query parameters and associated behaviors. Listed below are the requests available from the WMS:
- GetCapabilities: returnsan XML document with metadata containing Web Map Service Information.
- GetMap: returns an image as specified by a user.
- GetLegendGraphic: returns a legend image (color bar) for the requested layer.
Valid GetMap Request According to the WMS Specification
- VERSION=version: Request version
- REQUEST=GetMap: Request name
- LAYERS=layer_list: Comma-separated list of one or more map layers.
- SRS=namespace: Spatial Reference System.
- BBOX=minx,miny,maxx,maxy: Bounding box corners (lower left, upper right) in SRS units.
- WIDTH=output_width: Width in pixels of map picture.
- HEIGHT=output_height: Height in pixels of map picture.
- FORMAT=output_format: Output format of map.
- TIME=layer_date: Date of the data requested (YYYY-MM-DD)