Several of the GES DISC data sets can be converted from HDF4 format into NetCDF (with CF1 dimensions) to make them easy to use in tools such as GrADS, Panoply, IDV and McIDAS-V. Here's how:
- Begin in the Mirador Data Search Tool: http://mirador.gsfc.nasa.gov
- Type in keywords, time period of interest (if desired) and area of interest (if desired, for swath data).
The datasets that can be converted are shown in the table below.
Data Set Short Names
AIRS Level 2 (scene) humidity, air temperature and trace gases
Works in IDV and McIDAS-V only
AIRX2RET, AIRS2RET, AIRX2SUP, AIRH2RET, AIRH2SUP, AIRS2SUP
AIRS Level 3 (global grid) humidity, air temperature and trace gases
AIRX3STD, AIRH3STD, AIRX3STM, AIRH3STM, AIRX3ST8, AIRH3ST8, AIRS3STD, AIRS3ST8, AIRS3STM
OMI UV-B at the surface
TOMS ozone and aerosols
TOMSN7L3, TOMSEPL3, TOMSM3L3
- In the Data Sets list, click on one of the buttons following View Files for a list offiles in a given data set / version.
- You can download individual files in NetCDF from the File Listing page by clicking on NetCDF. N.B.: for use in IDV or McIDAS-V, you must download them first and use the File option in Data Chooser. The URL option in Data Chooser does not work for these files.
- To convert several files, select the ones you want and add them to the “Shopping” Cart (not to worry, they’re all free of charge).
- In the Shopping Cart, check the Data Set box and click the Download NetCDF button. From there, you will be given several download options, with instructions on how to use them.
Want to try a quick example? Download: