Release Notes for Giovanni 4.7
Release notes for Giovanni 4.7
Release Notes for Giovanni 4.7
Giovanni 4 is the next generation of Giovanni, designed to be faster, more interactive and easier to learn than its predecessor.
Giovanni 4.7 consists of the following key features:
New! in Giovanni 4.7
- Variables with non-global geographic coverage can now be visualized
Available data variables
- Aerosol Optical Depth and other aerosol measurements from MISR, MODIS and OMI instruments, and from the GOCART model
- Rainfall from TRMM 3B42
- Heat Flux and Wind Stress from GSSTFM
- Temperature profiles, Humidity profiles, Geopotential Height profiles, Altitude, Air Pressure, Air Temperature, Surface Temperature, Ozone from AIRS
- Coming soon: Variables from the North American Land Data Assimilation System (NLDAS) model
New for Giovanni-4 vs. Giovanni-3
- Interactive maps supporting zoom and pan
- Interactive linked scatterplot + map, both individual points and time-averaged grid points
- Vector grid maps, shown as arrows
- Faster (much!) services
New User Interface
The User Interface is being redesigned to be less opaque to new and occasional users. It also allows users to narrow down variables for selection either by selecting particular attributes ("faceted browsing") or filtering on keywoards. However, experienced Giovanni users may see some "user interface shift shock". In some cases, certain things may seem more difficult or tedious to do than in Giovanni 3. Please tell us those things, with particular reference to how you used to do them in Giovanni 3! We may also be able to provide some short cuts (e.g., Bookmarkable URLs below).
Bookmarkable URLs allow you to save URLs in order to re-run the exact same workflow at any future date. These can also be used to save partially filled in forms, acting as a kind of template for common analysis operations.
This release of contains some bugs, some known (see Known Issues below), and some not yet known. Please send us feedback using the Feedback button.
- iPad: Giovanni 4 does not yet run on iPad/iPhone Safari.
- Safari and Chrome on Mac: Scrollbars for the facets on the right do not show up for some Mac browsers (Safari, Chrome), unless scrollbars are set to Always in the System Preferences -> General of the Mac.
- Parts of borderlines on maps are missing at certain zoom levels.
- The Feedback button does not work properly with the Chrome browser, as it fails to open a new window for the default email application.
Map (Time Averaged)
- If the selected bounding box crosses both the 0 and 180 degree meridians and encloses the entire eastern hemisphere, the plots are not rendered correctly. However, the downloaded data files are valid.
- On rare occasions the map is not visible because the color palette fails to load. Plotting the map again usually resolves the problem.
- The legend on color palettes with many colors is vertically compressed, which can interfere with legibility
Interactive Scatter Plot
- Plot downloads for the scatter plot sometimes render poorly, with text continuing off the plot.
Time Series Plot
Time series plot options for variables of the same quantity type (e.g. precipitation, aerosol optical depth, temperature) need to be set to the same values in order to ensure that all plots get the proper y-axis range.
When plot options are changed, the Plot Options do not disappear when the Re-Plot button is clicked. The user needs to click again on the Plots link that is found on the right under History.
Animation’s ‘Go To’ text field does not respond to the Enter key in Internet Explorer. Clicking outside the text field triggers the correct frame change.
If the selected bounding box crosses both the 0 and 180 degree meridians and encloses the entire eastern hemisphere, the plots are not rendered correctly. However, the downloaded data files are valid.
Animation with color maps where the data range is computed at run time will not render the map and the colorbar correctly. In this case, changing the data range will not have the desired effect. A colorbar in animation that displays labels for 0 and 1 only is an indication of such a problem.