Release Notes for Giovanni 4.4
Release notes for Giovanni 4.4
Release Notes for Giovanni 4.4
Giovanni 4 is the next generation of Giovanni. It is designed to be faster, with a user interface that is easier to understand for new and occasional users.
Giovanni 4.4 consists of the following key features:
New in Giovanni 4.4
- Interactive Map: The Map plot type now shows the Interactive Map (replacing the old static Map).
- Vector Data Grids: The Map now displays arrows for vector data grids, which are Used in plotting GSSTFM wind stress vectors, newly added to Giovanni.
- Performance Improvements: both the request startup time and time to retrieve data from cache have been reduced significantly, resulting in faster response.
Available data variables
- Total Aerosol Optical Depth from MISR, MODIS, OMI and SeaWiFS
- Optical depth of aerosol species from the GOCART model
- Aerosol Absorption Optical Depth from OMI
- Angstrom Exponent from MODIS and SeaWiFS
- Aerosol Index from OMI
- Daily Rainfall Estimate from TRMM_3B42
- Heat Flux and Wind Stress magnitudes (new!) from GSSTFM
New for Giovanni-4 vs. Giovanni-3
- Interactive maps supporting zoom and pan
- Interactive linked scatterplot + map, both individual points and time-averaged grid points
- Vector grid maps, shown as arrows
- Faster (much!) services
New User Interface
The User Interface is being redesigned to be less opaque to new and occasional users. It also allows users to narrow down variables for selection either by selecting particular attributes ("faceted browsing") or filtering on keywoards. However, experienced Giovanni users may see some "user interface shift shock". In some cases, certain things may seem more difficult or tedious to do than in Giovanni 3. Please tell us those things, with particular reference to how you used to do them in Giovanni 3! We may also be able to provide some short cuts (e.g., Bookmarkable URLs below).
Bookmarkable URLs allow you to save URLs in order to re-run the exact same workflow at any future date. These can also be used to save partially filled in forms, acting as a kind of template for common analysis operations.
This release of contains some bugs, some known (see Known Issues below), and some not yet known. Please send us feedback using the Feedback button.
- iPad: Giovanni 4.4 does not yet run on iPad/iPhone Safari.
- Safari: When using Display as PDF in Safari, user is warned about losing session data. This is a false warning.
- Safari and Chrome on Mac: Scrollbars for the facets on the right do not show up for some Mac browsers (Safari, Chrome), unless scrollbars are set to Always in the System Preferences -> General of the Mac.
- Firefox: the name/label of the produced result can not be edited.
- Reset button may not always set the values in various pickers (service, date, spatial bounding box etc.) depending on how Giovanni was accessed initially .
- When using History-User Input to reference the Data Selection page, upon returning to the Plot page the user will need to select History-Plot to view the plot again.
- When a data variable is selected, if the date range of the data is on the first of the month, the start date widget highlights the end of the previous month instead.
- The regression line sub-title in the downloaded PDFs is fuzzy.
Interactive Scatter Plot
- The current size limit on space-time selection is too restrictive. In the near future, we plan to increase the limit.
- Plot downloads for the scatter plot sometimes render poorly with text continuing off the plot.
- Depending on the data range and zoom level, image may appear to have rectangular blocks (WMS tile boundaries). A solution to resolve this is in the works.