Release Notes for Giovanni 4.5
Release notes for Giovanni 4.5
Release Notes for Giovanni 4.5
Giovanni 4 is the next generation of Giovanni, designed to be faster, more interactive and easier to learn.
Giovanni 4.5 consists of the following key features:
New in Giovanni 4.5
- Map Animations - animate up to 365 map snapshots
- Cancel requests - Start a long-running job than you wanted? Click the Cancel button next to progress bar to terminate it.
- Simpler Variable Browsing - Platform and instrument have been combined into Platform/Instrument to make browsing variables simpler.
Available data variables
- Aerosol Optical Depth and other aerosol measurements from MISR, MODIS and OMI instruments, and from the GOCART model
- Daily Rainfall Estimate from TRMM 3B42
- Heat Flux and Wind Stress magnitudes from GSSTFM
- Temperature and Humidity profiles from AIRS
New for Giovanni-4 vs. Giovanni-3
- Interactive maps supporting zoom and pan
- Interactive linked scatterplot + map, both individual points and time-averaged grid points
- Vector grid maps, shown as arrows
- Faster (much!) services
New User Interface
The User Interface is being redesigned to be less opaque to new and occasional users. It also allows users to narrow down variables for selection either by selecting particular attributes ("faceted browsing") or filtering on keywoards. However, experienced Giovanni users may see some "user interface shift shock". In some cases, certain things may seem more difficult or tedious to do than in Giovanni 3. Please tell us those things, with particular reference to how you used to do them in Giovanni 3! We may also be able to provide some short cuts (e.g., Bookmarkable URLs below).
Bookmarkable URLs allow you to save URLs in order to re-run the exact same workflow at any future date. These can also be used to save partially filled in forms, acting as a kind of template for common analysis operations.
This release of contains some bugs, some known (see Known Issues below), and some not yet known. Please send us feedback using the Feedback button.
- iPad: Giovanni 4.4 does not yet run on iPad/iPhone Safari.
- Safari: When using Display as PDF in Safari, user is warned about losing session data. This is a false warning.
- Safari and Chrome on Mac: Scrollbars for the facets on the right do not show up for some Mac browsers (Safari, Chrome), unless scrollbars are set to Always in the System Preferences -> General of the Mac.
- Firefox: the name/label of the produced result can not be edited.
- Reset button may not always set the values in various pickers (service, date, spatial bounding box etc.) depending on how Giovanni was accessed initially .
- When using History-User Input to reference the Data Selection page, upon returning to the Plot page the user will need to select History-Plot to view the plot again.
- When a data variable is selected, if the date range of the data is on the first of the month, the start date widget highlights the end of the previous month instead.
- The regression line sub-title in the downloaded PDFs is fuzzy.
- The ‘Feedback’ button on the results page sometimes picks up the wrong result - but not incorrect enough to not be useful.
- For large result maps that require vertical scrolling, shift+click for zooming to selected regions does not work correctly.
Interactive Scatter Plot
- The current size limit on space-time selection is too restrictive. In the near future, we plan to increase the limit.
- Plot downloads for the scatter plot sometimes render poorly with text continuing off the plot.
Time Series Plot
Time series plot options for variables of the same quantity type (e.g. – precipitation, aerosol optical depth, temperature) need to be set to the same values in order to ensure that all plots get the right y-axis range.
Animation runs slowly in Firefox due to caching issues.
Animation’s ‘Go To’ field does not respond to the Enter key in Internet Explorer. Clicking outside the text field triggers the correct frame change.