December 11, 2008
— General Changes
Three instances, TRMM_Monthly, ocean_month, and MODIS_MONTHLY_L3, now feature the Climatology and Anomaly analysis service. This service can be added to any instance with an existing data climatology product. The GES DISC does not create a climatology product independently.
1. New Capability to Support Climatology and Anomaly Analysis
This service includes:
- New check boxes for displaying Climatology Information, and showing Only Parameters with Climatology.
- A new set of radio buttons for specifying the analysis option, i.e., Parameter, Climatology, or Anomaly.
- New constraints and internal logic to ensure proper user selections.
How this service works:
Select the Climatology Information check box: the Climatology Information column will be displayed in the parameter selection window for those products with climatology data products available in the Giovanni system.
Select Only Parameters with Climatology check box: only the parameters with climatology data will be displayed in the parameter selection window — the other parameters lacking climatology data will be hidden.
Select an Analysis Option: Parameter, Climatology, or Anomaly:
If the Parameter radio button is selected, analysis and visualization services will apply to normal parameters.
If the Climatology radio button is selected, analysis and visualization services will apply to climatology data of selected parameters.
If the Anomaly radio button is selected, analysis and visualization services will apply to anomaly data of selected parameters.
- Select one or more parameters.
- Select a climatology paramete (if Climatology or Anomaly radio button has been selected and there is more than one climatology data products available for a selected parameter).
- Select Temporal Range
- If Climatology radio button has been selected:
- Climatology Information column will be displayed in the parameter selection window.
- Only "Begin Month" and "End Month" are available in "Temporal" selection section, "Beign Year" and "End year" are hidden to avoid confusion.
- By selecting "Begin Month" and "End Month" as a time range, any seasonal Climatology can be generated and visualized. For example, selected month range of December-February will generate meteorological winter climatology (also referred as DJF) and selected month range of June-August will generate meteorological summer climatology (also referred as JJA).
- If Anomaly radio button has been selected:
Climatology Information column will be displayed in parameter selection window.
By selecting "Begin Date" and "End Date" as the time range, any seasonal anomaly can be generated and visualized. For example, selected month range of 2007 December to 2008 February will generate meteorological winter (2007 DJF) anomaly, and selected month range of 2008 June to 2008 August will generate meteorological summer (2008 JJA) anomaly.
- Select Visualization Type.
- Select Generate Visualization to submit.
2. New Navigation System
The new navigation system provides a set of tabs at each of the Giovanni instance Home and Results pages, which allow users to:
- Navigate from a result page to another;
- Return back to the Instance Home with all specified preferences;
- Specify new preferences and submit a new request, or go to any result page; and
- Delete any unwanted result pages.
3. Enhanced Map Layer Failover
The enhanced map layer failover allows the map client to display the next base layer in case the first one fails to render. This will reduce map client error significantly and provide better error handling (only if all layers fail to display, an error is reported.)
4. Activate Giovanni Feedback link
Feedback will be emailed, with subject in the format of instance_name+feedback_category+system_url.
5. Enhanced Data Services
- New capability to support input data in binary format
In addition to HDF4, HDF5, and NetCDF formats, now Giovanni has a new data service to support input data in binary format. Following capabilities have been tested:
— INT16 and FLOAT32
— Big Endian and Little Endian
- Enhanced IDL data services for using IDL Runtime License
A new data service will transpose SDS array from Longitude-Latitude structure to Latitude-Longitude structure, so that all cached files will have SDS arrays in the Latitude-Longitude structure. This service facilitates data intercomaprision.
Major rework has been done for better compliance with Open Geospatial Consortium Standard.
- Parameter names are now case-insensitive. For instance, "request", "Request", and "REQUEST" are treated as the same by Giovanni WMS.
Relaxed the restriction on the case-sensitivity on the value of the parameter "REQUEST". While all values of other parameters are still case-sensitive, the value of "REQUEST" will ignore case-sensitivity. That means "GetMap", "getMap", or "getmap" etc will all be treated as the same.
- Better Error Handling. Instead of returning an error message in html, it can now return an error message in XML format. However, returning an error message in image still has not been supported. Hence, no matter what value is specified for the parameter "EXCEPTION", it will always return an error message in XML.
— Instance-Specific Changes
- Map selector now supports HIRDLS orbit paths.
- Updated to include the new HIRDLS2.004 parameters (CFC-11, CFC-12, Aerosol Extinction at 12.1 micron).
- URL: http://disc1.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/daac-bin/G3/gui.cgi?instance_id=atrain
- New Orbit Map Generation System for A-train
- Orbit Map will be generated based on CloudSAT TEL data product that will bring the A-train leading edge much closer to near-real-time.
- Improved dynamic legend for vertical data
- Added a new mechanism to generate color bar dynamically along with KMZ files for importing to Google Eartch.
- Enabled a new mechanism to filtered file duplicates and ensure the latest one is used.
- Added more error reporting via the exception handler:
- Add reporting of inabilities to line/contour plot.
- Report ground track, collocation, and subset computation errors in across-track subsetting service (swathATrainSubset).
- Enhanced the curtain and strip renderers.
- Modifying color coding and display of values filtered by parameter minimum and maximum criteria.
- Annotate strip plots according to the curtain render standard.
- Add time range of data subtitle and label color bar with data units.