Presentations from the GES DISC at 2014 American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting
Precipitation, CO2, CH4, Temperature, Humidity, Land Data, Informatics, Data Preservation, Data Recipes, and Education will be discussed
The AGU Fall Meeting is held annually in San Francisco, CA. Nearly 24,000 attendees are expected this year. Hashtag #AGU14 on Twitter.
The Goddard Earth Sciences Data and Information Services Center (GES DISC) will be an active participant in the 2014 American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting, which takes places December 15-19, 2014 in San Francisco, California. The annual AGU Fall Meeting is one of the largest annual scientific meetings in the world.
At the 2014 meeting, there will be 19 presentations by GES DISC staff members as authors or co-authors. James Johnson of the GES DISC will give an oral presentation at 3:10 PM on Thursday, December 18, entitled “NASA GES DISC Efforts for Preserving Nimbus Atmospheric and Meteorological Data Sets”. Christopher Lynnes is also giving an oral presentation entitled “Federated Giovanni: A Distributed Web Service for Analysis and Visualization of Remote Sensing Data”, at 11:20 AM on Friday, December 19, 2014.
Steven Kempler is the Primary Convener and Co-Chair of Session ED31E, “Teaching Science Data Analytics Skills Needed to Facilitate Heterogeneous Data/Information Research: The Future Is Here (Posters)”. One of his Co-Chairs for this session is Chung-Lin Shie of the GES DISC. Kempler also acts as the Primary Convener for Session IN53C, “Life Cycle Planning for Science Data Preservation (Posters)”. He is a Co-Chair and Co-Convener of Session IN51-B, “Identifying and Better Understanding Data Science Activities, Experiences, Challenges, and Gaps (Posters)”.
In addition, the 2014 Gregory G. Leptoukh Lecture on Data Informatics, honoring former GES DISC colleague Greg Leptoukh, will be given by Bryan Lawrence of the University of Reading, UK. His lecture is entitled “Trends in Computing for Climate Research”. It will take place Wednesday, December 17, at 1:40-2:40 PM, in Moscone West 2022-2024. The Leptoukh Lecture can be viewed via live streaming video from a remote location with the AGU Meeting’s “Virtual Options”.
The schedule of presentations by GES DISC authors or co-authors is shown below. Clicking on the linked poster title will access the abstract of the presentation in the AGU Fall Meeting Program Web site. Times for oral presentations are shown in boldface.
Monday, December 15
- IN13D-02: Design of Scalable and Effective Earth Science Collaboration Tool – Manil Maskey, Rahul Ramachandran, Kwo-Sen Kuo, Christopher Lynnes, Noppasin Niamsuwan, and Chocka Chidambaram: 01:55 PM - 02:10 PM, Moscone West, 2020
- GC11C-0573: Proto-Examples of Data Access and Visualization Components of a Potential Cloud-Based GEOSS-AI System – William Teng and Christopher Lynnes: 08:00 AM - 12:20 PM, Moscone West, Poster Hall
- GC11C-0569: Enhancement of Mutual Discovery, Search, and Access of Data for Users of NASA and GEOSS-Cataloged Data Systems – William Teng, David Maidment, Matthew Rodell, Richard Strub, David Arctur, Daniel Ames, Bruce Vollmer, and Edward Seiler: 08:00 AM - 12:20 PM, Moscone West, Poster Hall
- H13B-1101: Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) Mission Products and Services at the NASA Goddard Earth Sciences (GES) Data and Information Services Center (DISC) – Dana Ostrenga, Zhong Liu, Bruce Vollmer, William Teng, and Steven Kempler: 01:40 PM – 06:00 PM, Moscone West, Poster Hall
Tuesday, December 16
- ED22A-04: Building Student Awareness of Societal Decision-Making Challenges about Energy through the Study of Earth System Data and Innovations in Energy-Related Materials Research – Daniel Zalles, James Acker, and Marcy Berding: 11:05 AM - 11:20 AM, Moscone South, 102
- IN21B-3704: Analyzing a 35-Year Hourly Data Record: Why So Difficult? – Christopher Lynnes: 08:00 AM - 12:20 PM, Moscone South, Poster Hall
- IN23D-3756: OpenSource GIS Connectors to the NASA GES DISC Satellite Data – Steven Kempler, Long Pham, and Wenli Yang: 01:40 PM – 06:00 PM, Moscone South, Poster Hall
Wednesday, December 17
- ED31E-3459: Preparing Earth Data Scientists for ‘the sexiest job of the 21st century’ – Steven Kempler: 08:00 AM - 12:20 PM, Moscone South, Poster Hall
- A33I-3316: Exploiting Aura OMI Level 2 Data with High Resolution Visualization – Jennifer Wei, Wenli Yang, James Johnson, Peisheng Zhao, Irina Gerasimov, Long Pham, Gilberto Vicente, and Suhung Shen: 01:40 PM – 06:00 PM, Moscone South, Poster Hall
- IN33B-3763: A Mission-Generic Observation Information Service for Multi-Mission Data Assimilation – Meemong Lee, Richard Weidner, Christopher Lynnes, and Daven Henze: 01:40 PM – 06:00 PM Moscone South, Poster Hall
- IN33C-3784: Collaboratively Conceived, Designed and Implemented: Matching Visualization Tools with Geoscience Data Collections and Geoscience Data Collections with Visualization Tools via the ToolMatch Service – Nancy Hoebelheinrich, Christopher Lynnes, Patrick West, and Matthew Ferritto: 01:40 PM - 06:00 PM , Moscone South-Poster Hall
Thursday, December 18
- A41I-3180: Satellite Observations of CO2 and CH4 Supported from NASA GSFC – Thomas Hearty, Andrey Savtchenko, Jennifer Wei, Arif Albayrak, and Bruce Vollmer: 08:00 AM - 12:20 PM, Moscone South, Poster Hall
- A43F-3337: Temperature and Humidity Profiles in the “TqJoint” Data Group of AIRS Version 6 Product for the Climate Model Evaluation – Feng Ding, Fan Fang, Thomas Hearty, Michael Theobald, Bruce Vollmer, and Christopher Lynnes: 01:40 PM – 06:00 PM, Moscone South, Poster Hall.
- IN43E-07: NASA GES DISC Efforts for Preserving Nimbus Atmospheric and Meteorological Data Sets – James Johnson, Asghar Esfandiari, Emily Zamkoff, Atheer Al-Jazrawi, and Gary Alcott: 03:10 PM - 03:25 PM, Moscone West, 2020
Friday, December 19
- IN52A-05: Federated Giovanni: A Distributed Web Service for Analysis and Visualization of Remote Sensing Data – Christopher Lynnes, Mahabaleshwara Hegde, James Acker, Chris Mattman, Eurico D’Sa, Charles Thompson, Virginia Kalb, Paul Ramirez, Bryan Franz, Robert Lossing, Christopher Torbert, and Cody Hendrix: 11:20 AM - 11:35 AM, Moscone West, 2020.
- GC51B-0410: National Climate Assessment - Land Data Assimilation System (NCA-LDAS) Data at NASA GES DISC – Hualan Rui, William Teng, Bruce Vollmer, Michael Jasinski, David Mocko, and Steven Kempler: 08:00 AM - 12:20 PM, Moscone West, Poster Hall
- IN53C-3817: Using project life-cycles as guide for timing the archival of scientific data and supporting documentation – Elmain Martinez, Doug Fowler, Joe Glassy, Mohammad Khayat, and Steven Olding: 01:40 PM – 06:00 PM, Moscone South, Poster Hall
- IN53D-3825: Advanced Science/Event-based Data Service Framework at GES DISC – Chung-Lin Shie, Suhung Shen, and Steven Kempler: 01:40 PM – 06:00 PM, Moscone South, Poster Hall
- IN53C-3816: Data Preservation, Information Preservation, and life-cyle of information management at NASA GES DISC – Mo Khayat, Barbara Deshong, Asghar Esfandiari, Irina Gerasimov, James Johnson, Steven Kempler, and Jennifer Wei: 01:40 PM – 06:00 PM, Moscone South, Poster Hall
- IN53B-3808: Data Recipes -- How-To Guides for better Supporting Data Users – Suhung Shen, Christopher Lynnes, James Acker, Tammy Beaty, and Mohammad Khayat: 01:40 PM – 06:00 PM, Moscone South, Poster Hall
Questions or comments? Email the NASA GES DISC Help Desk: email@example.com