Publications for 2014
The following references are for peer reviewed journal articles by GES DISC staff as authors or co-authors.
- Hearty, T.J., Savtchenko, A., Tian, B., Fetzer, E., Yung, Y.L., Theobald, M., Vollmer, B., Fishbein, E., and Won, Y-I. (2014) Estimating sampling biases and measurement uncertainties of AIRS/AMSU-A temperature and water vapor observations using MERRA reanalysis. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 119(6), 2725-2741, doi:10.1002/2013JD021205.
- Lee, Y.-R., Yoo, J.-M., Jeong, M.-J., Won, Y.-I., Hearty, T., and Shin, D.-B. (2014) Corrigendum to "Comparison between MODIS and AIRS/AMSU satellite-derived surface skin temperatures" published in Atmos. Meas. Tech., 6, 445–455, 2013, Atmospheric Measurement Techniques, 7, 1151-1152, doi:10.5194/amt-7-1151-2014.
- Liu, Z., Ostrenga, D., Teng, W., Kempler, S., and Milich L. (2014) Developing GIOVANNI-based online prototypes to intercompare TRMM-related global gridded-precipitation products. Computers & Geosciences, 66, 168–181. Online version: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S009830041300318X
- Liu, Z., D. Ostrenga, W. Teng and S. Kempler (2014) Developing online visualization and analysis services for NASA satellite-derived global precipitation products during the Big Geospatial Data era. Chapter 5 In Big GeoSpatial Data: Techniques and Technologies in Geoinformatics, Hassan A. Karimi, Editor, CRC Press, 89-114.
- Liu, Z. (2014) Comparison of precipitation estimates between Version 7 3-hourly TRMM Multi-Satellite Precipitation Analysis (TMPA) near-real-time and research products. Atmospheric Research, 153, 119-133, doi:10.1016/j.atmosres.2014.07.032.
- Wei, J., Savtchenko, A., Vollmer, B., Hearty, T., Albayrak, A., Crisp, D., and Eldering, A. (2014) Advances in CO2 Observations From AIRS and ACOS. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 11(5), 891-895, doi:10.1109/LGRS.2013.2281147.
Conferences and Workshops
Following are oral talks or posters sessions presented by GES DISC staff at science conferences and workshops. Linked posters and presentations are in PDF unless otherwise noted.
- Acker, J., Lynnes, C., Wolfe, R., Franz, B., Thompson, C., Sohre, T., Mattman, C., D'Sa, E., and Gierach, M. (2014) Combining Physical and Biological NASA Ocean Remote Sensing Data in Federated Giovanni. NASA Ocean Color Research Team Meeting, May 5-7, 2014, Silver Spring, Maryland.
- Albayrak, A., and Teng, W. (2014) Estimating Rainfall for Index-Based Agricultural Insurance. ASPRS 2014 Annual Conference, March 23-28 2014, Louisville, Kentucky.
- Ding, F., Fang, F., Hearty, T.J., Theobald, M., Vollmer, B., and Lynnes, C. (2014) Comparison of Temperature and Humidity Profiles between the “TqJoint” and “Standard” Data Group in AIRS Version 6 Product. NASA Sounder Science Meeting, Sept. 30-Oct. 2nd, College Park, Maryland.
- Hearty, T. (2014) Level 3 Revisited: Monthly Means, Climatologies, and AIRS L3 Lite. NASA Sounder Science Meeting, Sept. 30-Oct. 2nd, College Park, Maryland.
- Hearty, T. (2014) AIRS Version 6 at the GES DISC: Processing, New Related Products, and Giovanni" AIRS Science Team Meeting, March 17-19, 2014, Pasadena, California.
- Khayat, M., Kempler, S., Deshong, B., Esfandiari, E., Gerasimov, I., Berganski, M., and Acker, J. (2014) Implementation of the Open Source Document Preservation System at the NASA GES DISC. ASPRS 2014 Annual Conference, Louisville, Kentucky March 23-28.
- Khayat, M. (2014) Data and Documentation Preservation Systems at the NASA GES-DISC. ESIP Summer Meeting 2014, July 8-11 2014, Frisco, Colorado.
- Lynnes, C. (2014) Improving Data Accessibility for Applications Users. NASA HQ Applications Program Retreat, September 11, 2014, Arlington, Virginia.
- Lynnes, C. (2014) NASA Report to the Unidata Strategic Advisory Committee, May 2014, San Francisco, California.
- Lynnes, C. (2014) NASA Report to the Unidata Strategic Advisory Committee, October 2014, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, Colorado.
- Lynnes, C., Hoebelheinrich, N., West, P., and Ferritto, M. (2014). ToolMatch Service: Finding Tools for Your Data And Data for Your Tools. ESIP Summer Meeting 2014, July 8-11, 2014, Frisco, Colorado.
- Newman, D., Lynnes, C., and Mitchell, A. (2014) OpenSearch: the data search API for everyone. ESIP Summer Meeting 2014, July 8-11, 2014, Frisco, Colorado.
Presentations at the 2014 American Geophysical Union Meeting (San Francisco, CA, December 2014)
GES DISC staff were either authors or co-authors on the presentations listed below at the annual AGU meeting.
- Ding, Feng; Fan Fang, Thomas Hearty, Michael Theobald, Bruce Vollmer, and Christopher Lynnes: Temperature and Humidity Profiles in the “TqJoint” Data Group of AIRS Version 6 Product for the Climate Model Evaluation
- Hearty, Thomas; Andrey Savtchenko, Jennifer Wei, Arif Albayrak, and Bruce Vollmer: Satellite Observations of CO2 and CH4 Supported from NASA GSFC
- Hoebelheinrich, Nancy; Christopher Lynnes, Patrick West, and Matthew Ferritto: Collaboratively Conceived, Designed and Implemented: Matching Visualization Tools with Geoscience Data Collections and Geoscience Data Collections with Visualization Tools via the ToolMatch Service
- Johnson, James; Asghar Esfandiari, Emily Zamkoff, Atheer Al-Jazrawi, and Gary Alcott: NASA GES DISC Efforts for Preserving Nimbus Atmospheric and Meteorological Data Sets
- Kempler, Steven; Long Pham, and Wenli Yang: OpenSource GIS Connectors to the NASA GES DISC Satellite Data
- Kempler, Steven: Preparing Earth Data Scientists for ‘the sexiest job of the 21st century’
- Khayat, Mo; Barbara Deshong, Asghar Esfandiari, Irina Gerasimov, James Johnson, Steven Kempler, and Jennifer Wei: Data Preservation, Information Preservation, and life-cyle of information management at NASA GES DISC
- Lee, Meemong; Richard Weidner, Christopher Lynnes, and Daven Henze: A Mission-Generic Observation Information Service for Multi-Mission Data Assimilation
- Lynnes, Christopher; Mahabaleshwara Hegde, James Acker, Chris Mattman, Eurico D’Sa, Charles Thompson, Virginia Kalb, Paul Ramirez, Bryan Franz, Robert Lossing, Christopher Torbert, and Cody Hendrix: Federated Giovanni: A Distributed Web Service for Analysis and Visualization of Remote Sensing Data
- Lynnes, Christopher: Analyzing a 35-Year Hourly Data Record: Why So Difficult?
- Martinez, Elmain; Doug Fowler, Joe Glassy, Mohammad Khayat, and Steven Olding: Using project life-cycles as guide for timing the archival of scientific data and supporting documentation
- Maskey, Manil; Rahul Ramachandran, Kwo-Sen Kuo, Christopher Lynnes, Noppasin Niamsuwan, and Chocka Chidambaram:Design of Scalable and Effective Earth Science Collaboration Tool
- Ostrenga, Dana; Zhong Liu, Bruce Vollmer, William Teng, and Steven Kempler: Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) Mission Products and Services at the NASA Goddard Earth Sciences (GES) Data and Information Services Center (DISC)
- Rui, Hualan; William Teng, Bruce Vollmer, Michael Jasinski, David Mocko, and Steven Kempler: National Climate Assessment - Land Data Assimilation System (NCA-LDAS) Data at NASA GES DISC
- Shen, Suhung; Christopher Lynnes, James Acker, Tammy Beaty, and Mohammad Khayat: Data Recipes -- How-To Guides for better Supporting Data Users
- Shie, Chung-Lin; Suhung Shen, and Steven Kempler: Advanced Science/Event-based Data Service Framework at GES DISC
- Teng, William, and Christopher Lynnes: Proto-Examples of Data Access and Visualization Components of a Potential Cloud-Based GEOSS-AI System
- Teng, William; David Maidment, Matthew Rodell, Richard Strub, David Arctur, Daniel Ames, Bruce Vollmer, and Edward Seiler: Enhancement of Mutual Discovery, Search, and Access of Data for Users of NASA and GEOSS-Cataloged Data Systems
- Wei, Jennifer; Wenli Yang, James Johnson, Peisheng Zhao, Irina Gerasimov, Long Pham, Gilberto Vicente, and Suhung Shen: Exploiting Aura OMI Level 2 Data with High Resolution Visualization
- Zalles, Daniel; James Acker, and Marcy Berding: Building Student Awareness of Societal Decision-Making Challenges about Energy through the Study of Earth System Data and Innovations in Energy-Related Materials Research