PUBLICATIONS FOR 2011
The following references are for peer reviewed journal articles by GES DISC staff.
Bailey, J.E., and A. Chen (2011) The role of virtual globes in geoscience, Computers & Geosciences, 37(1), 1 - 2.
Liu, Z., D. Ostrenga, and G. Leptoukh (2011) Online visualization and analysis of global half-hourly infrared satellite data. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 92, 429–432. doi: 10.1175/2010BAMS2976.1
Sun, X., S. Shen, G. G. Leptoukh, P. Wang, L. Di, and M. Lu (2011) Development of a Web-based visualization platform for climate research using Google Earth. Computers & Geosciences, available online 28 September 2011, doi: 10.1016/j.cageo.2011.09.010
Shen, S., and G. Leptoukh (2011), Estimation of surface air temperature over central and eastern Eurasia from MODIS land surface temperature. Environmental Research Letters, 6, 10.1088/1748-9326/6/4/045206
Conferences and Workshops
Following are presentations and poster sessions by GES DISC staff at science conferences and workshops, presented chronologically. Linked posters and presentations are in PDF unless otherwise noted.
Liu, Z., D. Ostrenga, and G. Leptoukh (2011) TRMM data service update. 27th Interactive Information Processing Systems, 91st American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting, January 23-27, Seattle, WA.
Liu, Z., D. Ostrenga, and G. Leptoukh (2011) Hurricane data analysis tool. Symposium on Effectively Communicating the Science of Tropical Climate and Tropical Cyclones, 91st American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting, Jan 23-27, Seattle, WA.
Ostrenga, D., and P. Smith (2011) Enhancements in support of the new and enhanced Modern Era Retrospective-analysis for Research and Applications (MERRA) data and services at the GES DISC. 91st American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting, Jan 23-27, Seattle, WA
Shen, S., G. Leptoukh, X. Sun, and I. Gerasimov (2011) Expanding the Giovanni Holdings for LCLUC and Climate Study over Monsoon Asia Region, 15th LCLUC Spring Science Team Meeting, March 28-30, Maryland, USA. [View presentation
Leptoukh, G. (2011) Quality issues in multi-sensor aerosol Level 3 satellite data. Geophysical Research Abstracts, 13, European Geophysical Union General Assembly 2011-8935, April 2011, Vienna, Austria.
Zednik, S., G. Leptoukh, P. Fox, C. Lynnes, and J. Pan (2011) Experiences developing a user-centric presentation of provenance for a Web-based science data analysis tool. Geophysical Research Abstracts, 13, European Geophysical Union General Assembly 2011-4928-3, April 2011, Vienna, Austria.
Liu, Z., S. Kempler and W. Teng, 2011, Maps, Tools, and Services at NASA GES DISC for Supporting Global Drought Monitoring Activities. NASA Global Drought Monitoring Workshop, April 11-12, Silver Spring, MD.
Rui, H., W. Teng, B. Vollmer, D.M. Mocko, H.K. Beaudoing, T. Whiteaker, D. Valentine, D. Maidment, and R. Hooper. Bridging the Gap between NASA Hydrological Data and the Geospatial Community. American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS) Annual Conference 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1-5 May 2011. [View Presentation
] [View Paper
Liu, Z., D. Ostrenga, and G. Leptoukh (2011) NASA Giovanni Tools and Services for Supporting the Year of Tropical Convection. YOTC International Science Symposium & 8th AMY Workshop, May 16-19, Beijing, China.
Ostrenga, D. (2011) NASA Giovanni Tools and Services for Supporting the Year of Tropical Convection (YoTC). YOTC International Science Symposium
, May 16-19, Beijing, China. [View presentation
Kempler, S., Trepte, C., and L’Ecuyer, T. (2011) Constellation Data Management, Data Products & Services Development and Utilization. ESAS/NASA Constellation Flying Workshop, May 17, 2011, Montreal, Canada.
Pan, J., C. Lynnes, and G. Leptoukh (2011) Continuously enhancing usability of remote sensing data. Global Organization for Earth System Science Portals (GO-ESSP) 2011
, May 2011, Asheville, NC. [View presentation
Rui, H., W. Teng, B. Vollmer, D.M. Mocko, H.K. Beaudoing, T. Whiteaker, D. Valentine, D. Maidment, and R. Hooper (2011) Integrating Gridded NASA Hydrological Data into CUAHSI HIS. Consortium of Universities for the Advancement of Hydrologic Science, Inc. Conference on Hydrologic Data and Information Systems
, June 2011, Logan, UT. [View Presentation
Shen, S., G. Leptoukh, X. Sun, and I. Gerasimov (2011) Updates of satellite products in NASA MAIRS data portal to support regional study over monsoon Asia. 2nd MAIRS Workshop on Coupled Human-Environment Systems in Asian Dryland, June 8-10, 2011, Harbin, China.
Leptoukh, G. (2011) Addressing and Presenting Quality of Satellite Data via Web-based Services. Earth Science Technology Forum (ESTF2011), June 21-23, Pasadena, CA.
Lynnes, C. (2011) Federated OpenSearch Framework. NASA GSFC/ Air Force Research Laboratory Research and Technology Development Collaboration Summit, June 22, GSFC.
Kempler, S. (2011) Giovanni – Bridge between Science and Data. NASA GSFC/ Air Force Research Laboratory Research and Technology Development Collaboration Summit, June 22, GSFC.
Nemani, R., and J. Acker (2011) Remote sensing data products now available for carbon cycle and ecosystems science. 2011 NASA Carbon Cycle & Ecosystems Joint Science Workshop, September 2011, Arlington, VA. [View Part 1
] [View Part 2 - Powerpoint
Shen, S., G. Leptoukh, and I. Gerasimov (2011) MODIS land products available in Giovanni to support Asia monsoon regional study. 2011 NASA Carbon Cycle & Ecosystems Joint Science Workshop, September 2011, Arlington, VA. [View presentation
Kempler, S. Advanced NASA data discovery and retrieval systems for studying public health International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ISPRS), Advances in Geospatial Technologies for Health Symposium, September, 2011. Santa Fe, NM.
Rui, H., W. Teng, B. Vollmer, D.M. Mocko, H.K. Beaudoing, T. Whiteaker, D. Valentine, D. Maidment, and R. Hooper (2011) Bridging the Gap between NASA Hydrological Data and the Geospatial Community (updated). WCRP OSC Climate Research in Service to Society, Denver, Colorado.
American Geophysical Union 2011 Fall Meeting Presentations
Presentations that are given by GES DISC staff at the Fall Meeting will be available here after the meeting. The AGU 2011 Fall Meeting took place December 5-9 in San Francisco, California. Linked posters and presentations are in PDF unless otherwise noted.
GES DISC staff member as first author
- Peisheng Zhao, Christopher Lynnes, Bruce Vollmer, Andrey Savtchenko, and Wenli Yang: Using Open and Interoperable Ways to Publish and Access LANCE AIRS Near-Real Time Data. [View poster]
- William L. Teng and Harlan D Shannon: Retrospective Analog Year Analyses Using NASA Satellite Data to Improve USDA's World Agricultural Supply and Demand Estimates. [View poster]
- Bruce Vollmer, Dana Ostrenga, Andrey K. Savtchenko, James Edward Johnson, Jennifer Chu-Feng Wei, William L Teng, and Irina Gerasimov: Making Earth Science Data Records for Use in Research Environments (MEaSUREs) Projects Data and Services at the GES DISC. [View poster]
- Gregory G. Leptoukh, Christopher Lynnes, Peter Arthur Fox, Daniel Q. Tong, Ross Bagwell, John A. Gualtieri, Francis Lindsay, and Oleg Aulov: Challenges in characterizing, assessing, and capturing quality of remote sensing data.
- Hualan Rui, William L. Teng, Bruce E. Vollmer, David M. Mocko, Hiroko K. Beaudoing, and Matthew Rodell: NASA Giovanni Portals for NLDAS/GLDAS Online Visualization, Analysis, and Intercomparison. [View poster]
- Christopher Lynnes, Daniel Da Silva, Gregory G, Leptoukh, and Rahul Ramachandran: Reusable Social Networking Capabilities for an Earth Science Collaboratory.
- Suhung Shen, Gregory Leptoukh, and Peter Romanov: Accessing Recent Trend of Land Surface Temperature from Satellite
Observations. [View poster]
- Aijun Chen, Long Pham, Steven Kempler, Michael Theobald, Esfandiari Asghar, Jane Campino, Bruce Vollmer, and Christopher Lynnes: Facilitating NASA Earth Science Data Processing Using Nebula Cloud Computing. [View poster]
- Thomas J. Hearty, Eric Fetzer, Baijun Tian, Yuk L. Yung, Bruce Vollmer, Andrey K. Savtchenko, Peter M. Smith, Michael Theobald, and Dana Ostrenga: Observational Sensitivity to Climate Variability using AIRS/Aqua and MERRA. [View poster]
- Dana Ostrenga, Zhong Liu, William L Teng, Bhagirath Trivedi, and Steven Kempler: Newly Released TRMM Version 7 Products, GPCP Version 2.2 Precipitation Dataset and Data Services at NASA GES DISC. [View poster]
- Jennifer Wei, Maksym Petrenko, Gregory Leptoukh, Chris Lynnes, Daniel da Silva, Mahabaleshwara Hegde, and Charles Ichoku: AeroStat: NASA Giovanni Tool for Statistical Intercomparison of Aerosols. [View poster]
- James Edward Johnson, John Firor Moses, Steven Kempler, Emily Zamkoff, Atheer Al-Jazrawi, Irina Gerasimov, and Bhagirath Trivedi: Determining the Completeness of the Nimbus Meteorological Data Archive. [View poster]
- T. Kunhikrishnan, Jennifer Wei, Gregory G. Leptoukh, Corey Bettenhausen, Andrew M. Sayer, and Christina Hsu: Global Deep Blue Aerosol climatology from SeaWiFS in comparison to MODIS: Evaluation, Variability and Applications. [View poster]
- Arif Albayrak, Jennifer Wei, Maksym Petrenko, David Lary, and Gregory Leptoukh: MODIS Aerosol Optical Depth Bias Adjustment using Machine Learning Algorithms. [View poster]
- Maksym Petrenko, Charles Ichoku, and Gregory Leptoukh: Effects of Data Quality on the Characterization of Aerosol Properties from Multiple Sensors. [View poster]
- Steve Kempler, Karl Benedict, Pietro Ceccato, Meredith Golden, Susan Maxwell, Stan Morain, Radina Soebiyanto, and Daniel Tong: The Increasing Use of Remote Sensing Data in Studying the Climatological Impacts on Public Health. [View poster]
- Christopher Lynnes, Rahul Ramachandra, and Kwo-Sen Ku: Cross-cutting Interoperability in an Earth Science Collaboratory.
GES DISC staff as co-authors
- Stephan Zednik, Gregory Leptoukh, Peter Arthur Fox, Christopher Lynnes, Patrick West, and Suraiya P. Ahmad: A Semantic Representation of Product Quality and Evidence for Satellite Data [View poster]
- Andrei Kirilenko, Xiadong Zhang, Yeo Howe Lim, and William L. Teng: Climate change impacts on North Dakota: agriculture and hydrology [View poster]